Something peculiar I have learned over the years about my active, plant-based lifestyle is this:
The most outspoken (and predictable) demographic who opposes my lifestyle consists of overweight men who have onset diabetes.
When they learn I don’t eat meat, dairy, eggs, or drink soda, and that I haven’t for over 4 years, they scoff at the concept. They basically mock me for “not getting enough protein.” They insinuate that because my kids are vegetarians, I am depriving them of proper nutrition as well. They have clearly told me on multiple occasions that there is no way I can possibly be healthy, since I am a vegan.
Have you processed the irony yet? These claims about my health are coming from overweight men with onset diabetes.
People who are officially not healthy are confidently telling me how unhealthy I am. What?!
No other demographic is more openly opposed to how I live my life.
I don’t argue with them, though. I choose to let them continue to believe their version of reality. I am so confident in my beliefs, that I have no desire to try to convince them that my way is superior to theirs.
My motivation is to not become like them, in both their closed-mindedness and in their physically unhealthy state of being.
For me it’s pretty simple. I know that both an increased intake of processed sugar and meat lead not only to onset diabetes, but also prostate cancer.
I refuse to become another stereotype 20 years from now.
Therefore, I eat only plant-based foods, just 6 “food groups”:
Vegetables, fruits, beans, grains, nuts, and seeds.
I consume zero percent of my daily cholesterol (which is a default of the vegan lifestyle), while still consuming at least my minimum of daily protein and fat intake. My doctor has confirmed I am healthy and getting enough protein; and that I am healthier than most men my age.
Not to mention, I am perfectly in the healthy weight range for my age, height and weight. In other words, I am neither underweight nor overweight.
But what I eat is only 80% of it. The other 20% of what helps me avoid prevent diseases and health issues is the fact that I faithfully exercise and work out.
Being the busy full-time working husband, dad, blogger, and YouTuber that I am, I make my hour long lunch break at work my time to work out.
It’s basically a Triathlon of running 2 miles, along with either mountain biking or skateboarding.
This particularly diet and workout plan is what works for me personally. Before I became the crazy vegan, I was not consistently happy with my health.
I have nothing to prove to overweight men with onset diabetes.
I only have something to prove to myself:
That I indeed have much control over preventable diseases and health problems.
-Nick Shell, vegan, age 36
Top photo: Jasmine Moreno
If you found this blog post mildly intriguing, then you will definitely enjoy…
Top 10 Reasons My “Diet” is Consistently Successful and I am Still Healthy & Fit at Age 36 (from a Non-Vegan, Non-Vegetarian Perspective)